Monday, February 6, 2012

Philosophy on Coaching

         
            Athletics and sports in general will always have a place in my heart; I plan on coaching until I am grey.  Participating in athletics since I was five, I have an idea of what type of coach I will be and I certainly know what I don’t want to be.  Growing up, sport was always about winning, no one ever broke down exactly why we play; all coaches would feed us that “W” word, WIN! Athletics has so much more to offer than defeating an opponent, and coaching is the perfect opportunity for me to share this knowledge.  My purpose is to instill team chemistry by mentoring High School students to be motivated, hard working and have great character in all aspects of life. 
            Most coaches do not feel successful unless they earn a win, this should not be the case. Looking deeper into the game and realizing the team actually won despite what the score board says is what coaches are for.  Deep in competition, emotion can get the best of us. After losing a game; the big picture of athletics can become blurry to most players.  This is when the coach gathers everyone up and preaches the team’s values, beliefs and goals. Not letting emotion get in the way, the coach will remind the players of the big picture.  Being part of an honest, committed, accountable family who never gave up and accomplished goals of our game is more desirable then having more points than an opponent.  The first step of coaching is building a bond with the team and coming up with these values.  Once the team believes in these values the behavior will follow, having sportsmanship and dedication is what makes up true athletes, winning is something that follows.  Players with positive attitudes and character will listen during practice and tactical goals will be met.  Having respect for the team and coaches is what I believe in, until this happens no team chemistry can develop.  Keeping these values during a tough competition is a goal I will implement. A team who works together as a unit and has character throughout, are winners a hundred percent of the time, regardless of the score.  Having the school and community notice my athletes as true competitors and role models to the youth is a personal goal of mine and I believe success will follow. 
            Many are not use to this type of coaching and may be unsure about this theory but research and experience tells me this is what successful teams are made of.  Looking back on previous teams I have taken part in, the skill level was always there but we were not successful due to lack of team chemistry and morals.  The blame cannot be put on the athletes; this falls on the coaches’ shoulders, reminding players of the team’s values and beliefs is a major task which has to be completed. Hopefully with time all coaches realize this important message and change their ways, until then I will educate the players I come in contact with. I am excited to affect students in a positive manor and have full confidence in my abilities.   
-Albert A. Mercado

No comments:

Post a Comment